Environmental Risk Assessment, Testing and Treatment of Soil and Groundwater
Adler and Allan’s approach to contaminated land investigation and remediation following a spill adheres with guidance issued by the Environment Agency and Defra. This broadly comprises of the following steps:
- Preliminary, qualitative and quantitative environmental risk assessments
- Options appraisal and design
- Implementation of ground remediation works
Preliminary risk assessment
Adler and Allan has developed a protocol for the management of all environmental spill related incidents, designed to minimise client costs and ensure the minimisation of both legal and financial liabilities. Every land contamination incident that Adler and Allan responds to is assessed by an experienced environmental consultant tasked with determining whether the spill response activities have been sufficient to address these liabilities.
In certain circumstances, there may also be a requirement to bring land back to pre-spill levels, or, if required under the Environmental Damage Regulations, to undertake compensatory and/or complimentary groundwater and soil remediation.
Preliminary Risk Assessments (PRA) are usually undertaken during, or immediately following, the contaminated land response phase. These risk assessments require collection of web-based data relating to environmental sensitivity and the construction of a Conceptual Site Model, forming the basis of the qualitative risk assessment. Assuming a risk-based approach is suitable for the site in question, the PRA, including a mass-balance, may be sufficient to demonstrate that residual risks are acceptable. If unacceptable risks remain, source removal or soil/groundwater investigation will be required.
Quantitative risk assessment and remediation options appraisal
Adler and Allan’s service includes:
- the design, implementation and supervision of site investigations to examine the potential areas causing contamination identified in the preliminary risk assessment;
- the completion of generic and site specific risk assessments for both environmental and human health receptors;
- the screening and detailed evaluation of groundwater and/or soil remediation options prior to finalising selection of the most appropriate technique; and
- the design and implementation of contaminated land remedial technologies so as to reduce the impact of the site to the environment; via either in-situ or ex-situ methods.
Post spill contaminated land remediation
Adler and Allan’s contaminated land investigation and remediation consultancy service provides a seamless transition from spill response, through post-spill assessment and Options Appraisal to remediation of soil and groundwater. We have in-house capabilities in the following remediation techniques:
- Physical remediation techniques including; excavation and disposal of contaminated soils in operational environments; installation of free product recovery trenches; active and passive methods of product recovery from groundwater; stabilisation/solidification for treatment of soil contamination.
- Biological remediation techniques including; ex-situ soil remediation and in-situ groundwater remediation
- Chemical remediation techniques including; in-situ chemical oxidation for treatment of groundwater and ex-situ chemical oxidation for soil remediation.
Adler and Allan can also represent clients in meetings with the Environment Agency and Local Authorities. We are an approved Environment Agency supplier and have an excellent relationship with the organisation.
For a FREE, no obligation environmental site-audit quotation, please call 0800 592 827, or complete this Adler and Allan Consulting Services Online Enquiry Form.
See the full range of Adler and Allan Environmental Services
- Contaminated Land Investigation and Remediation
- Environmental Response Services
- Spill Training
- Waste Services
Alternatively use our search to find what you are looking for:
24/7 Emergency Response
0800 592 827