Adler & Allan is delighted to be working with Mary Dhonau OBE Hon DSc Hon RICS of Mary Dhonau Associates (MDA), a specialist independent community flood consultancy working to raise local flood awareness by advising and assisting on flood prevention and resilience. In 2015, Mary was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of the West of England and was very recently made a Hon Fellow of CIWEM (Hon FCIWEM).
In addition to running MDA, Mary has an impressive back catalogue in the flood protection sector:
- Represented the ‘voice of the flood victim’ at government level
- Speaks at many flood risk management national and international conferences
- CEO of the National Flood Forum from 2006/10 and now holds a similar position for the ‘Know Your Flood Risk’ campaign
- Chair of the Flood Protection Group for the Property Care Association
- Member of the transition panel for Flood Re
- Works with Defra on a funded research project into flood resilience
- Co-author of a range of flood resilience guides for homes and businesses
- OBE for services to the environment
- HonRICS in recognition of her work standing up for the public interest in regards to flooding
With an in-depth knowledge of current government strategies, flood resilience and related insurance, MDA can offer an ethical and realistic response to a wide range of issues relating to flooding, as well as reassurance and independent expert advice on recovery and restoration post-flood. MDA works with both domestic households and businesses, Local Authorities, the Environment Agency, as well as organisations such as BERG (Business Emergency Resilience Group), of which Adler & Allan is a founding member.
Mary, along with the rest of the MDA team, have personally suffered flooding, so understand first-hand the physical and emotional devastation it can cause. MDA’s aim is to help people prepare for flooding events, through flood resilience and protection measures in their properties, working alongside organisations such as Adler & Allan, Government agencies and MPs.
We look forward to working with Mary in order to extend our work in the flood mitigation sector, providing further support to businesses and communities around the UK.